On My Journey: Mammograms
As many of you know, my mother passed away from breast cancer. Because of this, I have had to have mammograms since I was 30. I did a baseline mammogram at 30, then got to wait until I was 40 to start again. Each year is the same. Change into a robe, wait in a waiting room with other scared women, pose in unnatural positions while a machine smooshes my breasts into even more unnatural positions, wait in a waiting room for them to call you again. Last year and this year, they thought they had found something so I had to have ultrasounds done too. Thankfully, it came back that there wasn't anything. For those who have not had the chance to experience this, I am not going to lie. It hurts. It's uncomfortable. But, they are also necessary. This year I have to go get an MRI done this summer. Given my family history of cancer, (my father passed away from esophageal cancer two years ago) I am considered high risk and the risk is high enough to warrant this test. It gives a clearer picture than the mammograms do. From what I have read it takes hundreds of pictures, compared to the few that they take with the mammogram. It should be interesting. You have to get an IV and lay face down in a machine for like 45 minutes from what they tell me. But, if it can find anything sooner, I'll do it. All of this just because of boobs! I will share that experience come July. I would also like to remind all of my lady readers to do your monthly exams! It is our first weapon against this disease and there is no excuse not to be doing it!

Comments
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think!