How To Keep Going...
Lately, I have been feeling blah. You know the blah I mean. The "Oh my God, if I have to fold one more load of laundry or put one more dish away, I'm gonna lose it" blah. The "Why am I always cleaning?" kind of blah. Being a housewife is a hard job. There is a lot of monotony. And it's hard to get through the blahs when they hit. But, I have found a few steps to help get through them and through the monotony that is a big part of my job.
1. Be thankful. As you are folding that millionth load of laundry, be thankful that you have the clothes that you have and a family to get them dirty. As you load or unload the dishwasher for the umpteenth time, be thankful you have food to feed your family. Sweeping up that dirt trail from the door, be thankful for the little feet that carry it in (or husband feet). My biggest one lately is sweeping up dog hair. Our 15 year old lab mix has decided to shed like there's no tomorrow. I just keep reminding myself that he's cute and lovable. This makes the job go a little bit easier.
2. Look to find something about each task that is enjoyable. This can be a little hard while scrubbing the toilet, but you can do it! Washing dishes-pay attention to how warm the water is or how much you enjoy the smell of the soap. Cleaning the bathroom-I love watching the Scrubbing Bubbles stuff clean without me touching it. (Simple things make me happy, what can I say?) Folding clothes- maybe you love the smell of fresh from the dryer clothes or the smell of the detergent as it goes in. Whatever the task is at hand, make a conscious decision to find what little bit makes you happy.
3. Take time for you. This was hard for me when the kids were small. You seem to never get time to do anything besides clean, feed and diaper when they are little. But, this is one of the most important steps. You can not lose you to all the chores and when you keep giving and giving to take care of the ones you love, it's easy to neglect yourself. No one is going to take care of you like you can. What makes you happy? Writing? Reading? Crafting? Recently, I have gotten back into reading, especially when Hubby is out of town and I have my crocheting always. I started scrapbooking and sewing too. Even if you only find time for one hobby that is all yours, it will make a huge difference in your attitude towards everything.
See if these steps help you to break the monotony and find joy in your job. Because, yes, it is a job. Actually many jobs wrapped up into one! It can be hard, but also enjoyable. Don't let the blahs keep you down!

Comments
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think!