How To Treat Hot Spots
This is our almost 13 year old black lab mix, Kojack. He is one of the best dogs we have ever had. Over the years, I have become very knowledgeable in how to care for hot spots at home. A hotspot is when a dog scratches or licks a spot on his body until the hair is gone and the skin is broken open. When we got him, he was skin and bones and covered in fleas and ticks. You can't really tell now that he was skinny. He was a stray that a friend of my husband's had found. After we got him cleaned up, we found he is allergic to fleas, which causes him to get hotspots every year. About four years ago, I was late getting his flea medicine on him in the summertime and he got his first hotspot. I had no idea what they were and didn't treat it right away. It became infected and we almost lost him. After that, I did a lot of research on what to do when they first appear. The most effective home treatment that I was surprised to find is Gold Bond Medicated powder. A small dusting on the spot helps to dry it up and I have had them clear up overnight with this. Another treatment that works really well, but Kojack does not like, is apple cider vinegar. You dilute it with water and spray onto the hotspot. Usually about 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar to 1 cup of water. It stings when it first goes on, but with its antibiotic properties, it is extremely effective. Kojack has a tendency to run when he sees the spray bottle though. Plus, fleas do not like apple cider vinegar so it helps keep them away also! There are also over the counter treatments at the store, but those two are the best at home treatments. I also give him Benadryl when he is very itchy. The dosage is usually 1 mg per 1 lb of weight. But please consult your veterinarian before administering. Also make sure that the Benadryl, whether name brand or generic, is pure Benadryl and not mixed with acetaminophen or anything else. Those can be toxic to doggies.
Comments
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think!