Cinnamon Rolls!

As you know, this week is Book Fair at the elementary school and the librarian loves me to bake. I made the best cookies ever, which I posted, and then I made brownies, but cheated and made Betty Crocker's. Well, today was supposed to be cinnamon roll day. Last night, I go about making cinnamon rolls but used a different recipe than I usually do. They came out awful. For some reason, the recipe called for 2 tablespoons of salt. Who does that? And since I had never done this recipe, I put that much in. AND I got a bad pack of yeast so they never rose, even during baking. They were horrendous. So, the poor librarians had to make do today with store bought donuts. (Actually, I don't think they were too upset!) Today, I got a new batch of yeast and went with my tried and true recipe from my handy dandy Reader's Digest Homemade Cookbook. They already rose once and now are on the second rising and they actually rose! Yay! Here is the recipe- (notice only 1 teaspoon of salt!)

1 package of dry yeast
1 cup warm milk (110-115 F)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
4-4 1/2 cups of flour

Cinnamon filling
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter melted

Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter soft
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese soft
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, combine the yeast and the milk; stir until the yeast is completely dissolved. Add the sugar, 1/3 cup butter, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft, sticky dough. Lightly flour a surface and lightly grease a bowl. Turn dough out on flour and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in prepared bowl, turn to coat and place in warm place to rise, about 1 hour. Prepare the filling. In small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon until blended. Lightly grease 13x9 pan. Punch down dough and roll out. Brush with butter and sprinkle the filling over it. Roll up from long side. Cut in equal size slices. Place, cut side down, in prepared pan. Cover and let rise 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350. Bake 20-25 minutes or until brown. Prepare frosting and frost rolls while warm.

**I don't do the frosting. I just mix some powdered sugar with a little vanilla and milk and make a thick glaze. Then I drizzle over top the warm rolls**

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Body Wrap

I'm so excited! The Liebster Award!