It's Sooo Cold!
Since most of the country, and as you can see, us Virginians, are stuck in this cold, I figured I would take a minute to talk about winterizing. There are a lot of things you can do to make your home as cozy as possible when it's 7 degrees outside!
One thing I do as soon as it gets cold is to put the insulating plastic over all our old windows. I also put it across our window unit air conditioner in our kitchen. This really makes a difference. It helps to seal out any drafts. I also put heavy sheets over the windows that are plastic just for extra sealing. Also, any doors to the outside you should put draft blockers at the bottom of the doors. I just use old sheets but the better alternative is the ones filled with sand. You can even make these yourself! And when it's this cold, you should make sure no hoses are connected to any outside spigots and turn the water off to the outside. This helps to prevent any pipes freezing and bursting. Weatherstripping your doors helps to reduce any drafts coming in around your door frames. I haven't done that, even though I should. And also, please bring in any animals you have outside. No matter how furry they are, at these temperatures, they just can't cope. Plus, they won't have water since it'll freeze! So, bring them in where they can be nice and toasty too. Whatever you do, take precautions and stay warm! This kind of cold can be dangerous!
One thing I do as soon as it gets cold is to put the insulating plastic over all our old windows. I also put it across our window unit air conditioner in our kitchen. This really makes a difference. It helps to seal out any drafts. I also put heavy sheets over the windows that are plastic just for extra sealing. Also, any doors to the outside you should put draft blockers at the bottom of the doors. I just use old sheets but the better alternative is the ones filled with sand. You can even make these yourself! And when it's this cold, you should make sure no hoses are connected to any outside spigots and turn the water off to the outside. This helps to prevent any pipes freezing and bursting. Weatherstripping your doors helps to reduce any drafts coming in around your door frames. I haven't done that, even though I should. And also, please bring in any animals you have outside. No matter how furry they are, at these temperatures, they just can't cope. Plus, they won't have water since it'll freeze! So, bring them in where they can be nice and toasty too. Whatever you do, take precautions and stay warm! This kind of cold can be dangerous!

Comments
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think!