I Made Challah!
Doesn't this look absolutely delicious?? It is! (I snuck a piece after it came out of the oven!)We are having homemade chicken soup for dinner and since Izzie is coming home today, she requested homemade bread. I LOVE making homemade bread. No bread machine in this house, though. My favorite part is the kneading. And my house smells so good! I have never made this before. But, I think it's going to be one of my go-to's. I got the recipe from Reader's Digest Homemade cookbook that I have had for years. Here's the recipe-
2 packs active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 T salt
5 eggs
6-6 1/2 cups flour
1 t cold water
1 T sesame or poppy seed (optional)
In a large bowl, combine the yeast with the warm water and stir until dissolved. Add the oil, sugar, salt, 4 eggs, and 4 cups of flour. Beat until all ingredients are blended and the consistency is smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a firm dough. Lightly flour a work surface. Turn dough out and knead until firm and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Lightly grease a bowl and place dough in, turning once to cover in oil. Cover with towel and set in warm place for 1 hour or until double. Punch down dough and turn on floured surface. Divide dough in half and the each half divide into thirds. Roll each piece into a 15 in long rope. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Place 3 ropes on sheet, pinching together on one end. Braid together and pinch opposite end together. Repeat with remaining dough ropes to make 2 loaves. Cover with cloth and let rise another hour. Preheat oven to 350. In small bowl, beat remaining egg with cold water and brush mixture over loaves. Bake 30-35 minutes.
I didn't do 2 loaves. I just did one big one!
2 packs active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 T salt
5 eggs
6-6 1/2 cups flour
1 t cold water
1 T sesame or poppy seed (optional)
In a large bowl, combine the yeast with the warm water and stir until dissolved. Add the oil, sugar, salt, 4 eggs, and 4 cups of flour. Beat until all ingredients are blended and the consistency is smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a firm dough. Lightly flour a work surface. Turn dough out and knead until firm and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Lightly grease a bowl and place dough in, turning once to cover in oil. Cover with towel and set in warm place for 1 hour or until double. Punch down dough and turn on floured surface. Divide dough in half and the each half divide into thirds. Roll each piece into a 15 in long rope. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Place 3 ropes on sheet, pinching together on one end. Braid together and pinch opposite end together. Repeat with remaining dough ropes to make 2 loaves. Cover with cloth and let rise another hour. Preheat oven to 350. In small bowl, beat remaining egg with cold water and brush mixture over loaves. Bake 30-35 minutes.
I didn't do 2 loaves. I just did one big one!

Comments
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think!