Beginner's Crochet!

I figured with the yarn giveaway, I would go over some crochet basics! I come from a long line of crocheters, but when I was younger did not have the patience to learn. I remember when I was about 10-11, my mom decided to sit down and teach me. I was going to make a mat for my Barbie motorhome. This sucker had to be about 3 inches, if that. I got so mad at it, I threw it across the room and told my mom I would never crochet again! Well, unfortunately, she had already passed when I was finally interested in it and my grandmother lived in NY so she couldn't teach me and my great grandmother lived in OK so she couldn't! I picked up books and taught myself. Yes, it can be done! I found a wonderful site with step by step how to begin on Maybe Matilda. My main tips are for you to watch your tension, which is how tight your stitches are. If you make your stitches too tight, when you come back on the next row, you won't be able to make a stitch in it. Also, pay attention to the pattern. If it calls for an E hook, don't use a J. (E is smaller.) And if it calls for a thin yarn, a chunky probably won't work, even if you find a beautiful one. I've tried to do that and the project usually gets torn apart. I know, that's common sense, but I have to try it my own way sometimes! I never did listen well. So, to all you beginning crocheters-welcome! You will soon become obsessed with yarn and be like me when my package of yarn came yesterday and sit giggling in your living room while your children look at you like you've lost your mind!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Body Wrap

I'm so excited! The Liebster Award!