Winterizing!

Even though it's only October, the temperatures here in Virginia are starting to dip into the 40's overnight. That made me start to winterize our house. Do you do anything to winterize? By this I mean, prepping your home in any way to help with the heating bills that can get outrageous? I do some things, I know there are many more I could do, but these are the main ones.

  1.  Our house is older, built in the early 70's, and only a few windows have been updated. So, each year, I get the plastic kits to insulate some of the windows. These have gotten much easier to work with over the years and make a HUGE difference in the temperature of the house. They actually have it now where you only put the tape around the sides and bottom of the window and then the top is sticky already. Then you just stick it across the top and unroll all the way down! I did Bubby's room and it took less than 10 minutes!
  2. Make sure all your storm windows are down, if you have them! 
  3. This is something I may do this year, I haven't before. Get the insulation that you put behind the outlets. It's a little square of insulation that you put in the outlet. This is good for the outlets that are on outside walls.
  4. 1 big thing that I did a few years ago is sign up with our electric company for a payment plan where we pay the "average" amount every month. They take the last 12 months and average it. Then on the months when the actual amount was lower, it saves up that money to offset the months when it's more. Then at the end of the 12 months, if we owe money, they average that and we pay that. So let's say, on our anniversary, we owe 100$. They would divide that by 12 and we would pay 8.33. It has saved us so much money. I used to not like it in the months when we paid over but in the winter I really like it!
  5. I also use draft stoppers on the doors leading outside. We have one that goes from our room into the laundry room which leads outside. Cold air comes under that door and makes my room really cold. I used to use just an old blanket but this year I'm going to make one filled with sand or cat litter, I haven't decided. It's straight line sewing and just making a tube and filling it up! When I make it, I will post how I did it.
  6. We have window air conditioners. One in the kitchen that's permanent and then the one that we have in the living room, I already took out. The permanent one, I cover in the plastic that I use for the windows and it really helps to cut down on the air flow that comes in around it.
Well, that's about all I do to winterize.  What do you do? I would love to hear other ideas to make my house even cozier!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY Body Wrap

I'm so excited! The Liebster Award!