A Family Tradition...REPOST
If you have never had this, this is a tea ring. Or English Tea Ring as it is called in my handy dandy Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from the 60's. I posted this recipe last year with a history and figured I would refresh everyone's memory.
My dear mother who has is no longer with us made this tea ring every holiday season. It was our family Christmas morning breakfast. There was only one drawback about this morning breakfast. Without fail, my mother would burn the bottom of the tea ring. We think that was how she figured it was done. And I mean burned. Black. So black that sometimes we would only eat the top and the middle and throw the bottom away. Well, the first year that I decided to make these, my brothers were thrilled. We hadn't had them for a few years after Mom passed away and they were very excited. They tore into them as soon as they got their hot little hands on them and my middle brother took a bite and turned the piece upside down.
"You didn't cook this right."
"What do you mean, TJ?"
"This is only brown. I can bite through it. This isn't right."
He then told me I wasn't my mother's daughter because of this.
I make these at Thanksgiving now since my oldest brother is here in Virginia for that holiday. He actually freezes it for Christmas. It's cute. These are serious business in our family. You must try them.
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
1/2 c milk, scalded
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c shortening
1 tsp salt
*******
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 c flour
1 beaten egg
1/2 c vanilla
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c chopped candied fruits and peels (I don't use the walnuts or candied fruit. I just put in raisins)
Soften yeast in warm water (110). Combine milk, sugar, shortening, and salt; cool to lukewarm; add 1 cup flour; beat well. Beat in yeast, egg, vanilla. Mix in enough flour to make soft dough. Knead lightly on floured surface. Place in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise till double. (1 1/2 hours to 2.)
Roll to 13x9 rectangle about 1/4 in thick. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, then raisins or the walnuts and fruits. Roll starting from long side, like a jelly roll. Seal edge. Shape in a ring on greased cookie sheet. With scissors, snip almost to center at 1 inch intervals. Pull sections apart and twist slightly. Let rise till double (35-45 min) Bake in a moderate oven (375) about 20-25 minutes.
My dear mother who has is no longer with us made this tea ring every holiday season. It was our family Christmas morning breakfast. There was only one drawback about this morning breakfast. Without fail, my mother would burn the bottom of the tea ring. We think that was how she figured it was done. And I mean burned. Black. So black that sometimes we would only eat the top and the middle and throw the bottom away. Well, the first year that I decided to make these, my brothers were thrilled. We hadn't had them for a few years after Mom passed away and they were very excited. They tore into them as soon as they got their hot little hands on them and my middle brother took a bite and turned the piece upside down.
"You didn't cook this right."
"What do you mean, TJ?"
"This is only brown. I can bite through it. This isn't right."
He then told me I wasn't my mother's daughter because of this.
I make these at Thanksgiving now since my oldest brother is here in Virginia for that holiday. He actually freezes it for Christmas. It's cute. These are serious business in our family. You must try them.
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
1/2 c milk, scalded
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c shortening
1 tsp salt
*******
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 c flour
1 beaten egg
1/2 c vanilla
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c chopped candied fruits and peels (I don't use the walnuts or candied fruit. I just put in raisins)
Soften yeast in warm water (110). Combine milk, sugar, shortening, and salt; cool to lukewarm; add 1 cup flour; beat well. Beat in yeast, egg, vanilla. Mix in enough flour to make soft dough. Knead lightly on floured surface. Place in lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise till double. (1 1/2 hours to 2.)
Roll to 13x9 rectangle about 1/4 in thick. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon, then raisins or the walnuts and fruits. Roll starting from long side, like a jelly roll. Seal edge. Shape in a ring on greased cookie sheet. With scissors, snip almost to center at 1 inch intervals. Pull sections apart and twist slightly. Let rise till double (35-45 min) Bake in a moderate oven (375) about 20-25 minutes.

Comments
Post a Comment
Tell me what you think!