Who Loves Pie?

I love pie. This one is apple. There is just something so cozy and warming about a slice of pie, no matter what kind you make. I always use the same pie crust recipe which is from my mom's Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from the 60's, which is my favorite cookbook of all time.

2 c flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 c shortening (I use butter because I think it tastes better)
5-7 T cold water (I put ice in mine before I pour it in.)

Now the original recipe does it the old fashioned way but I use my food processor which makes perfect crust dough every time. I put the flour and salt in first and pulse to just mix. Then I cut my butter into little chunks and put that in. Then I pulse until the butter resembles crumbs. Then I turn the machine on, and dribble the ice water in the spout thingy and just dribble until the dough balls up on its own. There you have it. Just separate, roll out, and fill!

This is the apple pie recipe from the same book that tastes WONDERFUL!
6 c tart apples, pared, cored and sliced
3/4-1 c sugar
2 T flour
1/2-1 t cinnamon
Dash nutmeg
2 T butter

If your apples lack tartness, sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine sugar, flour, spices and dash salt. Mix with apples. Pour into prepared pastry in 9 in pie plate. Dot with butter. Top with crust. Cut slits for steam vents. Bake at 400 for 50 minutes. Make sure to bake with a cookie sheet under it because my pies always bubble over.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's A Birthday!!!!

DIY Body Wrap

On My Journey: Cataracts