I Made Pop Tarts!

These are my homemade Pop Tarts! I found the original recipe on Sally's Baking Addiction but I tweaked it.
When I was reading her recipe, she had a note in it that her crust recipe had to have shortening in it. I did not have shortening on hand, all I had was butter. So, I used my trusty 2 pie crust recipe from my 1965 Betty Crocker cookbook!

The ingredients you need for it are:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cups shortening ( I used butter which works just as well. It just needs to be COLD)
4-5 Tablespoons ice water

The way I make my pie crusts is very easy. I use my food processor. I have an ancient food processor that I got when I was first married and it was a hand me down then. But, it works! So, first, you put in the flour. Then add the salt and pulse to get the salt all through. Then you cut the butter or shortening up into chunks and add to the flour. Then pulse until it's crumbly and the butter is the size of small peas.
Now, you take your ice water and turn your processor on. Drizzle the water into it until the dough starts to ball up. As soon as you have a ball, stop the water and the processor. You are now ready for the rest of the recipe! Cut the ball in half and refrigerate both halves.

You must refrigerate the pie crust at least an hour. More is preferable. Roll out one half into a 9x12 rectangle. Her recipe got about 9 pastries I think. Mine only did 6. But, you can always double or even triple the recipe. Cut into rectangles. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush the bottoms with an egg wash made from one beaten egg and about 2 Tablespoons milk. Place 1 T of filling in the middle of each rectangle. I did 3 with about 1/4 cup of sugar and 1-2 T cinnamon mixed together, for Bubby, and 3 with about a tablespoon of strawberry jelly in the middle for Doodle. You then roll out the second half and cut into rectangles to place on top. Brush with egg wash again and crimp. Poke holes in the top for the steam. Refrigerate the whole thing again.
This is what they look like before going in the refrigerator again. Notice the pink rolling pin in the background. That was my mother's rolling pin that she got as a wedding present, if I remember right. It has no handles left and has a dent, but it is the best rolling pin ever! And it's pink! What's not to love?

Preheat oven to 350  and bake for about 22-25 minutes or until nice and brown. Then you can frost with the glaze. She made it with 3/4 c powdered sugar, 1 T milk, 1/2 t cinnamon and 1/4 t vanilla. I think I'm going to make it without the cinnamon since I don't think that'll go with the strawberry. But, now I'm waiting for the kids to get home so they can tell me if they like them!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's A Birthday!!!!

DIY Body Wrap

On My Journey: Cataracts